Senior Vice President of Marketing
Waterford.org is an education nonprofit that blends the best aspects of learning science, mentoring relationships, and innovative technologies to form community, school, and home programs that deliver excellence and equity for all learners. Our programs serve over 300,000 children in 43 states every year, maximizing impact while minimizing complexity and cost. We honor the role that family members play at home, and empower them as children’s first teachers, while supporting classroom teachers’ efforts to achieve our shared goal of universal literacy.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY & INCLUSION
Waterford’s commitment to inclusive excellence is foundational to achieving our mission of universal literacy. Waterford.org is a mission-driven organization, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are at the heart of who we are and what we do. We make space for diverse voices and perspectives, and our values inform our decision making, talent recruitment, program development, and engagement with the children, families, and communities we serve.
We are committed to fostering a workplace culture and organizational identity that welcomes and values the unique contributions that employees and stakeholders bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs. We believe that diverse representation should exist across the breadth (functions) and depth (hierarchy) of Waterford.
Waterford.org is growing, both in terms of scale and impact, and also in adaptive change and perspective. Over the past four years, we have tripled in size and made significant improvements to our curriculum. Our family support model continues to distinguish Waterford as a leader in early learning, and we have been successful scaling with fidelity. More than anecdotal, our success is proven with tier 1 evidence (as defined by the US Department of Education What Works Clearinghouse), and our work has been recognized and funded by The Audacious Project, The Studio at Blue Meridian and others who believe in its capacity to shift outcomes for the country’s most under-resourced students. Internally, our evolved approach to recruiting and geographic flexibility have allowed us to increase diverse talent that is more representative of the families and communities we serve. We have very low regrettable turnover and a high-trust culture of belonging where our unifying mission acts as a bridge across differences.
The Senior Vice President of Marketing role represents an opportunity to tell the story of Waterford, our families, and other stakeholders with one proud and unified voice that communicates our values-driven, equity-centered mission and elevates our already strong brand in a way that inspires investment, partnership and advocacy.
This new leader will lean into our non-profit status, leverage empirical evidence of impact, unite a capable team of marketing experts, and partner with a cadre of other talented, inspiring senior leaders to strengthen the movement for universal literacy and associate it with Waterford.org. Specific responsibilities include:
- identifying and articulating Waterford’s competitive advantages and designing strategies to amplify them to gain market share;
- developing the messaging and associated mechanisms that position Waterford as a non-profit partner rather than a vendor; ensuring that cohesive, unified, and culturally responsive messaging is disseminated and adopted throughout the organization as well as externally;
- working closely with the PR/Comms, Outreach, and Revenue teams to establish priorities, align strategies and allocate resources for marketing projects;
- supporting marketing team leaders to manage and hold their teams accountable to a shared set of goals and outcomes;
- optimizing team structure; leading, developing and retaining a diverse group of team members, and recognizing and leveraging their talents in a way that inspires commitment, cohesion and a collaborative, high-functioning culture;
- participating in org-wide quarterly and annual planning cycles;
- continuously champion, promote, and advance diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence at Waterford.org
- developing the marketing department budget and other marketing metrics reporting for presentations to the COO, and
- overseeing compliance to brand standards across all marketing and communications channels.
The Senior Vice President of Marketing will have an unwavering commitment to Waterford’s mission, as well as the innovation, insight, strategies and tools needed to communicate at the grassroots level and beyond, the catalytic and transformative effect of universal literacy and the role Waterford can play in its realization.
While no one candidate will embody all of the following qualifications, successful candidates will possess many of these professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- experience in a strategic role related to marketing and/or edtech market strategy;
- experience leading teams, including responsibility for strategy, personnel, and fiscal management;
- demonstrated ability to develop and implement research-based strategic marketing plans and campaigns with both quantitative and qualitative insights;
- considerable creative and analytical strength, including awareness of best practices, tools and relevant experiences building compelling marketing efforts that drive results;
- applied experience recognizing and acting on opportunities to diversify external relationships to support organizational mission and goals and collaborating with diverse teams across a similarly sized organization;
- strong partnership-oriented and collaborative working style; strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy; superb listening and influencing skills; the ability to cultivate and sustain trust and credibility with colleagues;
- demonstrated ability to develop and implement marketing campaigns for economically and culturally diverse stakeholders and audiences;
- excellent project management skills and demonstrated ability to solve complex problems, define goals and assess effectiveness of initiatives and projects, and
- MA, BS degree, or equivalent in Marketing, Communications, or relevant field.
Our Senior Vice President of Marketing will report directly to the COO and lead the 14-person marketing team.
WORKING AT WATERFORD.ORG
We anticipate this position will pay $165,000+ annually depending on the education, experience and skill level of the individual we hire. We offer a benefits package that includes fully paid premiums for health insurance, dental insurance, basic life insurance, and disability insurance. New hires receive a one-time HSA contribution. Retirement contributions are matched up to 5%, and we have generous vacation, sick, and holiday policies.
Currently, Waterford requires all new hires to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or file a religious or medical exemption (as applicable by federal, state, and local law).
Waterford.org team members are located across the United States and primarily work from home.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled.
For best consideration, please follow these instructions to submit a cover letter and resume by July 15th, 2022:
- Visit the Opportunities section on Promise54’s website and click on the APPLY NOW tab within the Senior Vice President of Marketing – Wateford.org job description
- Answer a brief set of questions about you
- Below the questions, you’ll be able to upload your resume as well as a cover letter
Finally, if you encounter any technical difficulties, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete the form below to submit your application:
Not ready to apply, but interested in learning more?